2022 Scholarship Applications are now OPEN.
Closing Date: Wednesday 19 May, 2021
ACER Scholarship Exam Date: Saturday 5 June, 2021
RGS Scholarships are available for Boarding and Day Students entering Year 7 or Year 10 only and are academic in nature. They are awarded based on school performance and ability. The Scholarship process allows the School to recognise children based on their potential to contribute to the School and identify those students who would benefit from The Rockhampton Grammar School.
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of the applicant's performance in the following areas:
- A written cover letter to the Headmaster (Dr Phillip Moulds) from the applicant, including what contributions they would make to The Rockhampton Grammar School, what opportunities a Scholarship could provide to them and how they would capitalise on the opportunity
- The applicant’s alignment with the School's culture and values
- The applicant’s school reports (last two years) and most recent NAPLAN results
- The applicant’s ACER Scholarship test results (refer below)
- A successful interview
The Rockhampton Grammar School (RGS) may award 25%, 50% and 75% Scholarships applicable to tuition fees, and where applicable, boarding fees. Scholarships do not apply to any other School fees, including but not limited to levies, uniforms, textbooks and supplies, co-curricular costs, excursions etc.
The duration of the Scholarship awarded is six years for students entering in Year 7 and three years for students entering in Year 10, subject to the student’s continuing academic performance and adherence to School policies and guidelines and participation in the life of the School.
Scholarship applications are open all members of the community, including students currently enrolled at RGS. Please note: All applications will be assessed on their merit and outcomes of the Scholarship exam and current RGS students are not advantaged.
How to Apply
Parents are required to complete the following by Wednesday 19 May, 2021:
- Register for the ACER Scholarship exam here (instructions below).
- Applicants not currently enrolled at RGS or who have not previously applied for admission to the School, must complete an Application for Admission to The Rockhampton Grammar School, including all supporting documentation. The Enrolment Application can be submitted online here.
- The applicant is to write a cover letter of self-introduction to Headmaster, Dr Phillip Moulds (single sided, A4 sheet only), including what contributions he or she would make to The Rockhampton Grammar School and what opportunities a Scholarship could provide to them at the School, and how he or she would capitalise on them.
- Submit the cover letter with a full and complete Application for Admission to firstname.lastname@example.org. If the applicant is currently enrolled at RGS or have previously applied for admission to the School, there is no need to submit a new Enrolment Application. Just submit the cover letter to email@example.com.
About the Scholarship Exam
The Rockhampton Grammar School will administer the ACER Scholarship Test at the School on Saturday 5 June, 2021. This test is used by approximately 250 independent schools across Australia. The exam will assess a range of skills such as the ability to interpret, infer, deduce and think critically. The test is not curriculum based and does not test the ability to retrieve learned knowledge. The test is comprised of multiple choice questions on tpics realted to Humanities and Mathematics/Science plus two essays or written expression items. The essays will demonstrate the applicant's ability to generate ideas as well as the linguistic production, organisation and expression of those ideas.
How to Register for ACER Scholarship Exam
- You must register for the ACER Scholarship exam via this link: http://scholarships.acer.edu.au/intro/1910 prior to Wednesday 19 May, 2021.
- Please note that registration for the ACER Scholarship exam includes a $110 registration fee, payable on-line.
- Register for Level 1 if the student is entering Year 7 in 2022.
- Register for Level 2 if the student is entering Year 10 in 2022.
- Practice material is available to assist students preparing for the exam. Please see ACER Preparing for the Test page, which has links to the practice materials available for purchase. You can also access practice material when you Register for the exam.
- Registered families will receive e-confirmation and further information from the School, sent to your nominated email address.
- The student must sit the exam in person at the School on Saturday 5 June, 2021 from 9.00am through 1.00pm.
Note: All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application for a Scholarship by end of August 2021. The decision to award a Scholarship and the level of assistance granted is entirely at the discretion of the Headmaster. No correspondence will be entered into with regard to such decisions.
Bursaries are available to Boarding and Day Students from Year 7 to 12 and are made available based on financial need.
Please go here to learn more and apply for a Bursary.
Need more Information?
Please call Registrar, Mrs Marissa Holloway on 1300 GRAMMAR or email firstname.lastname@example.org