Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees of The Rockhampton Grammar School is constituted under the Grammar Schools Act 2016 (Qld) and is a Statutory Body within the meaning given in the Financia lAccountability Act 2009 and subject to audit by the Queensland Audit Office.
Minister Responsible for Administration of Legislation: The Minister for Education is responsible for the administration of the Grammar Schools Act 2016.
Governing Body: The Board of Trustees of The Rockhampton Grammar School was originally constituted on 4 October 1878. The Board consists of seven members appointed by the Governor in Council for four year terms of whom:
- four are persons nominated by the Minister for Education
- three are persons who have donated or subscribed to the School and been elected as prescribed by the Act
Chairman: Mr Brad Beasley LL.B (Hons), J.P.
Deputy Chairman: Mr Mark Birkbeck, B.Bus. (Acct), FCPA
- Emeritus Professor Deborah Clayton B.AppSci, GradDipSciEd, M.AppSci
- Dr Jill South, Ph. D (UQ)., B. Sc. (Hons) (UQ)
- Mrs Kaye Wilson, B.A (UQ), Dip Ed (UQ).
- Mrs Josephine Volck B.Ag Econ. (UQ)
Board Secretary: Mrs Karryn Johnson
Ph. 07 4936 0602; firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: 07 4922 1552
Statutory Function: The functions of the Board of Trustees of The Rockhampton Grammar School are:
- to supervise, maintain and control the conduct of the school for which the board is constituted;
- to erect, alter, add to, purchase or sell buildings used or to be used for or in connection with the school;
- to effect general improvements to the premises used or to be used for or in connection with the school;
- to provide in the school courses of instruction;
- to make rules with respect to
- fees and charges to be paid in relation to students enrolled or to be enrolled at the school;
- the management and control of the school;
- the discipline and conduct of students enrolled at the school.
Subscriber Trustee Election: The Act prescribes rules for the election of the three (3) Board members (Subscriber Trustees) each four years with the Board Secretary being the Returning Officer for the election. Only persons listed on the Register of Donors and Subscribers are eligible to nominate for election as a Board member and vote in the election. To be entered on the register and eligible to vote in a Subscriber Board Member election, a person needs to have donated or subscribed $50.00 or more to the School. The payment of fees by parents does not qualify them for entry on the Register of Donors and Subscribers. The present Board's term of appointment expires on 19 March 2018.
How to become a subscriber: Parents and other interested persons can become subscribers by donating $50.00 to the School Building Fund by sending their cheque together with the following information to the Board Secretary at the School:
- Full Name, Mailing Address, Telephone and Fax Numbers
Donations can also be made with cash or through the EFTPOS or credit card facilities at the School Office. The amount, because it is made to the Building Fund, will be tax deductable. The donated monies will be used by the Board to help fund the School building development program.